IDL language

Schmottlach, Glenn glenn.schmottlach at harman.com
Fri May 8 06:50:21 PDT 2009

This looks like a great start along the lines of a common IDL.

One thing that might be missing is a mechanism (or tag) a code generator could use to determine whether a method (for a generated client proxy or server stub) should be generated with asynchronous support. I know the C++ code generator I'm working with looks for annotations which indicate whether the code it generates should support sync vs. async calling/response mechanisms. Should something like this be included in the IDL in order to provide a hint so the most optimized code can be produced?