IDL language

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Fri May 8 07:19:23 PDT 2009

On Fri May 08 10:03, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Second, I believe that people can just do things like
>
>  @org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.Async
>  SomeMethod(in int32 foo, out string bar);

I dislike having binding-specific annotations whereby you have to edit
the IDL before converting it to stubs in your language. It's hardly
_independent_ at that point...

> to do this. E.g. the annotation mechanism is extensible. Whether this
> means that the server stub is sync/async or the client proxy is
> sync/async is also an interesting question.

This is another point against these annotations, or maybe that just bad
overloading of the annotation used in the current glib binding

> Anyway, I think that code generators should have a way to set this (for
> a single or multiple methods) without users having to change the IDL
> (the idea is that people will use IDL docs installed in /usr/share so
> it's not feasible to have the user edit them).

^^^ indeed.

How easy will it be to provide support for other languages?
Particularly, if I want to write a pure-Java parser (people dislike the
fact that bits of my toolchain need unixy stuff as it is)

Matt

--
www.matthew.ath.cx
D-Bus Java