IDL language

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat May 9 06:18:35 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 09:07 +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Sat May 09 00:56, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Right. There's nothing to stop a binding from just sending the stuff
> > from the typelib directory in response to Introspect(); and there's
> > nothing to stop a binding from always looking in the typelib repo
> > instead of calling Introspect(). I'm not really sure Introspect() is
> > that useful, to be honest... I think you usually do need to know the
> > typelib statically - even for dynamic languages. With dynamic
> > languages you never need to type the typelib in, but it's still
> > "implied" by the code, even at "level 1"
> >
> > But Introspect() is at least handy for dfeet and such.
>
> Well, it's very useful for finding out _which_ of a predetermined set of
> interfaces a particular object supports.

Yeah, I wish this was easier than parsing XML since it's such a common
operation. A while ago I proposed something like this addition

 GetAllInterfaces (OUT a{sa{sv}} hash_from_iface_name_to_property_bag);

on the org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties interface that would give you
this information as well as allowing you to load all properties in one
go.

     David