IDL language

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Mon May 11 03:10:13 PDT 2009

On Mon May 11 10:59, Mark Doffman wrote:
> If that is useful to people working in Python, JS, Ruby then great. I'd
> just prefer to staticly generate my bindings, even in Python, to gain
> some more flexibility.

(speaking as the dbus-java author) I also want to statically generate my
bindings, but I want to do so from a file which specifies the API. At
the moment I can do this by introspecting something which has the
appropriate interface, but I'd rather do it from a repository of
interface files which are shipped with the software.

If I'm _writing_ an API (rather than using someone else's) then I want
to write it in Java and have the introspection/typelib/IDL/etc generated
from the Java, not the other way round. In my world I wouldn't expect
anyone to write the XML, it would all be inferred from the original
program and then used to create the binding in subsequent programs.

Matt
--
www.matthew.ath.cx
D-Bus Java