IDL language

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Mon May 11 06:28:02 PDT 2009

On Mon May 11 14:23, Mark Doffman wrote:
> > Ah, I see we disagree about the meaning of 'typlib'. I don't really mind
> > what format it's in, but I think it should exist. A directory of
> > introspection files or of IDL files is fine.
> >
> > However, why not parse IDL itself? Well, I already have an introspection
> > parser, so if I can use that I don't have to write another one...
>
> You'll have to modify your introspection parser whatever format is
> 'Chosen'. However I think the people writing the IDL parser should make
> it easy to add back-ends. Thats certainly my intention.

Mmmm, but 'read a few extra annotations' != 'parse an entirely new
annotation.

> Point taken, there is a benefit to encouraging dbus services to declare
> the protocol in a standard format. We do that already with the D-Bus
> introspection XML. Why not just have a standard location for installing
> these?
>
> I personally think that the added information or 'fluff', would be very
> useful. I don't think there is enough information in the XML to generate
> decent bindings.

Yes, we definitely need to add some more stuff. Yes it needs to be
installed somewhere. Doing this with the existing introspection data
should be easy.

The main probably around here is agreeing _what_ needs to be added.

Matt
--
www.matthew.ath.cx
D-Bus Java