Application activation through DBUS

Alexandre Savard alexandre.savard at savoirfairelinux.com
Wed May 13 10:43:35 PDT 2009

Hi All,

We are designing a two part application which communicate over dbus.

We are experiencing instabilities with 64 bits architectures:
after some time of inactivity, the deamon does not receive any messages
from the client application and we get a "no reply" error message on the
client side while the deamon is still running.

Changing the proxy creation function

   from: dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name ()

   to: dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name_owner ()

fixes the issue as the documentation specifies that name-associated
proxy only makes sense with a message bus, not for app-to-app direct
dbus connections.

However, using dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name_owner(), the deamon service is
not automatically activated anymore when opening the client as it was
the case with the name-associated proxy which refer to
the .service file in usr/share/dbus-1/services/ folder

I moved the file to the /system-services folder using a DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM
connection with no significant effect.

How can we activate a deamon application from a client application
throug dbus using a proxy created by dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name_owner().

Thanks

Alexandre