Unix FD Passing

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed May 20 15:49:31 PDT 2009

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>> If a binding doesn't do unix fd it should never be tempted to expose
>> an interface that needs unix fds and hence never expect a message with
>> unix fds. And hence again, it doesn't mater if the connection it is
>> using has negotiated it or not.
>
>Multiple bindings can use a connection; and it's possible to subscribe
>to things like "all signals from app foo" and get whatever that app
>sends out. So it's very easy to get an fd-containing message in
>existing code that never knew anything about fd messages.

I second this as well: it's very possible to receive an fd-containing
message even if you don't have any API for that.

We should make it so that existing apps don't start leaking FDs or
crashing because of new types being sent.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358