Unix FD Passing

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed May 20 16:17:42 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> mm, problem is that nego happens inside of dbus_connection_open(),
> doesn't it? flags like that would have to be available that early.
>
> I.e. we'd need:
>
> dbus_connection_open_with_flags()
> dbus_connection_open_private_with_flags()
> dbus_bus_get_with_flags()
> dbus_bus_get_private_with_flags()
>
> Which is bearable but still ugly.

It looks to me like connection_open() does no IO, but bus_get does. So
bus_get would need a new variant.

Flags vs. feature level:

 * flags allows non-feature-level-related flags
 * flags can only express up to 32 feature levels (if no other use of
flags is made)
 * does FEATURE_LEVEL_1 | FEATURE_LEVEL_2 really make sense?

Comes down to whether we want to support selectively enabling each
feature, or just do the feature levels with say all features in a
given stable libdbus release.