about object introspection for dbus

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Thu May 21 02:10:51 PDT 2009

On Thu May 21 11:54, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> > I got it. If I don't use dbus-glib or dbus-python to do my work but pure
> > dbus with c, I have to handle this introspection by myself, right ?
>
> If you are doing both the client and server sides yourself with the
> plain C api, you don't need to add introspection support at all. You
> can also use dbus-glib without introspection if you only need
> dbus_connection_setup_with_g_main().

No, this is wrong. If you are writing anything which connects to the
system or session buses, or ideally anything at all, you _must_
implement introspection. It is a requirement for writing a service on
dbus. DBus is about interoperability, people will be writing things
against your API in other languages even if you aren't.

Matt

--
www.matthew.ath.cx
D-Bus Java