dbus-c++ does not correctly handle messages with NULL interface

Havoc Pennington havoc.pennington at gmail.com
Wed May 27 07:22:33 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Schmottlach, Glenn
<glenn.schmottlach at harman.com> wrote:
> The larger question (and I'm not D-Bus protocol expert) is to understand
> under what circumstances would you expect dbus_message_get_interface()
> and dbus_message_get_member() to return NULL. Is this a typical scenario
> often seen on the D-Bus or a more esoteric situation?

Method calls don't have to specify the interface, in which case the
receiver is supposed to look up the method by name only (picking an
interface arbitrarily if multiple interfaces on the object have the
same method). I don't remember right this second the reasons for this,
but it's specified in the spec.

I don't think the member can be omitted in method calls or signals,
but would be null for method returns or error returns.