activation and shutdown

Randell Jesup rjesup at wgate.com
Thu Nov 5 07:45:47 PST 2009

>On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 10:56 +0100, Kees Jongenburger wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am making use of DBus activation to launch processes when needed.
>> Overall I followed Raphaël Slinckx tutorial that can be found here
>> http://raphael.slinckx.net/blog/documents/dbus-tutorial
>>
>> Next to activation I also would like my application to shutdown when
>> "done". How is this best done? I am mainly worried about
>> synchronization issues for example
>> what happens if I decide to  shutdown my service but at the same time
>> somebody calls on me? will activation take this into account?
>>
>> The most simple way I can shutdown now is to simply stop running after
>> one method is served will that work?
>
>In fprintd (and a number of other daemons), we exit 30 seconds after the
>last client has exited.

That's not sufficient to guarantee that you won't get a message right as
you shut down - just reduces the odds.  There's an inherent timing
window from when a device decides to shut down and when it finishes
deregistering from the bus - if someone sends a method to you then,
unless you're very careful you may not process the message.  I'm not
sure how dbus handles this race condition.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate
rjesup at wgate.com