Generating documentation for DBus APIs

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 03:11:04 PST 2009

On 12/11/09 10:43, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for documentation of the various DBus interfaces that get
> published by an application, and for the moment I can't find any. It's
> leading me to think that maybe there is no way to automatically generate
> documentation of interfaces the way Doxygen of gtk-doc do for APIs.

The Telepathy interface definitions[1] are written using D-Bus
introspection XML, extended to include documentation. Then we have a
tool to transform that into HTML documentation[2], and build a Devhelp

You could run that tool on the introspection XML for other projects, but
it won't be annotated with the per-argument documentation that the
Telepathy spec XML is, so it's not exactly what you're looking for.

(I wasn't aware until 30 seconds ago that gtk-doc supports building docs
from a presumably-different set of extensions to the introspection XML.
It'd be good to standardize on something.)

[1] http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-spec.git;a=summary
[2] For example,
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.Interface.Requests.html

--