per-user dbus

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Fri Nov 13 14:56:15 PST 2009

On Fri, 13.11.09 15:12, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Ray Strode <halfline at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What might make sense is having a way for programs to add themselve to
> > the session without their parent being in the session.  I could
> > imagine, if DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS wasn't set, looking for the first
> > available running session bus for the user (how? kernel keyring? X
> > property?) and joining it.  This would solve the
> > cron-can't-access-my-session-even-when-i'm-logged-in problem.
>
> ConsoleKit or the system bus would make the most sense here I think.
> Though if we do this for the session bus, it also raises the question
> about DISPLAY.
>
> Lennart, if auto-joining was implemented, would it help your user bus
> use cases?  What *are* those use cases exactly actually?

My main need for this is obviously PA. PA's lifecycle is mostly bound
to "at least one session of the user who invoked us to be
around" (which is why we currently watch CK's database asynchronously
and kill ourselves when the last user session of the user who invoked
us is terminated.)

That said, as I wrote in another mail I am thinking of other hardware
managing daemons too. And those which provide network services, as
well as those providing user fs mounting services and finally database
interfaces such as dconf, e-d-s, ...

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net