bug with 5 code lines

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Nov 19 15:32:08 PST 2009

Julien Isorce schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> First, thx for the reply.
>
> I follow your advises but I am still not able to use dbus. This is my
> configuration and the result:
>
> - I am launching dbus-daemon.exe --system in a system service (using
> CreateProcess).
this is new land

for quick error reproducing in dbus as system service environment a nice
solution is to install a service using cygwin's cygrunsrv using the
following

cygrunsrv -I dbus-daemon -i --path
<cygwin-style-path-to-dbus-daemon.exe> --chdir
<cygwin-style-path-to-dbus-install-root> --args --system --env
DBUS_VERBOSE=1 --env DBUS_TEST_HOMEDIR=<dbus-keyring-home-path>

> So in task manager I can see that the user name of the dbus-daemon
> process is "SYSTEM" (because of system service)
> - then I open a console and I type: set
> DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS=tcp:host=localhost,port=12434
> - then I run:
> dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest="org.freedesktop.DBus"
> /org/freedesktop /DBus/Introspectable
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable.Introspect
>
> -> the result:
<snip>
> So I still cannot use dbus with severals users.
> Anyway, the result is at least better than using --session.
> Here it seems that something is not correct (for my needs) in the
> system.conf file.
yes, see below

> So here is the system.conf file I am using:
> <!-- This configuration file controls the systemwide message bus.
>      Add a system-local.conf and edit that rather than changing this
>      file directly. -->
>
> <!-- Note that there are any number of ways you can hose yourself
>      security-wise by screwing up this file; in particular, you
>      probably don't want to listen on any more addresses, add any more
>      auth mechanisms, run as a different user, etc. -->
>
> <!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus
> Configuration 1.0//EN"
>  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
> <busconfig>
>
>   <!-- Our well-known bus type, do not change this -->
>   <type>system</type>
>
>   <!-- Run as special user -->
>   <user>Administrator</user>
>
>   <!-- Fork into daemon mode -->
>   <fork/>
>
>   <!-- Write a pid file -->
>   <pidfile>/dbus-pid</pidfile>
>
>   <!-- Only allow socket-credentials-based authentication -->
>   <auth>EXTERNAL</auth>

EXTERNAL auth does only work with unix domain sockets and will not work
on windows (this value is a unix default value)

You may try ANONYMOUS or DBUS_:COOKIE_SHA1, the latter may require to
set DBUS_TEST_HOMEDIR=<dbus-keyring-home-path>

you shoule enable debug info printing for the server and/or the clients
by running

set DBUS_VERBOSE=1

Regards
 Ralf