.service file issue

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Fri Oct 9 08:07:07 PDT 2009

Kaustubh Atrawalkar wrote:
> Where u have placed the service file? And which dbus version are u using?
>
> For dbus 1-2-3 & higher the service file should be placed in -
> {prefix}/shared/dbus-1/system-services
> for lower versions the service file should be placed in -
> {prefix}/shared/dbus-1/services
>
> Also for dbus-1-2-3 & higher versions the service file should also
> contain one more key
>
> User=root
>
> Check these and get back if doesn't work
>
> Regards
> Kaustubh (aka silverroots)

Kaustubh, you sir win a prize. :)

After writing my last reply, I double-checked the location of .service
files on my system and sure enough, there was indeed a 'system-services'
directory. I saw other .service's in the old directory and figured that
was were it had to go. Then, I thought, "wait, I am connecting to the
'system' bus. Duh!".

Sure enough, I moved my .service file to the 'system-services' directory
and it immediately complained of not having a 'User=' directive. I added
one and bingo, it worked!

If you are ever in Toronto, Canada, I owe you a coffee. :)

Madi