Interoperability between DBus implementations on Windows

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Oct 26 09:48:29 PDT 2009

Tor Lillqvist schrieb:
> The current (and apparently by its maintainers considered finished and
> stable) dbus4win code uses a significantly different way to store the
> session bus address for automatically connecting to it from clients
> than the upstream "reference" implementation does on POSIX.
>
> There is no dbus-launch program whose purpose would be to start the
> dbus-daemon and print out (in either binary form, or in some shell
> syntax) the bus address. (Well, there is dbus-launch-win.c but that is
> just a program that runs dbus-daemon --session, passing no other
> command line parameters, getting no information back to be printed
> out.)

dbus-launch could be easily extended to return the session info if
required .
> Instead, the session bus address is stored in a per-session shared
> memory segment that the daemon creates and which exists only as long
> as the daemon runs. (If I understand correctly.)

yes. The dbus client library contains code to autostart the dbus-daemon
on first demand. After dbus-daemon is started the client library acess
the shared memory segment to fetch recent dbus connection parameters.

Regards

Ralf