moving file descriptor passing into a header

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Apr 13 14:27:25 PDT 2010

We were discussing some DBus related stuff at this GSettings hackfest,
and related to the GVariant/GBus work, we were thinking it'd be good
to take the file descriptor bits out of the type system, and move them
into a message header.  This makes things significantly saner for
GVariant and anyone else reimplementing the protocol.

The API would be something like:

int dbus_message_get_unix_file_descriptor (DBusMessage *message, int index);
int dbus_message_append_unix_file_descriptor (DBusMessage *message, int fd);

As part of doing this, can someone working on the Windows stuff give
me the 1,000 meter overview of where we are on that port with regards
to trying to make a real release of the 1.4 tree?