Relationship between udev, hal, Dbus and DeviceKit?

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 25 19:03:46 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 19:49 -0500, Noe Misael wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how modern linux systems handle hardware
> devices. I have a general idea about how kernel drivers works and also
> have a general idea about how udev is a layer between the kernel
> and user-space.
>
> But when looking at HAL and Dbus, DeviceKit, Network Manager I started
> to get confused.
>
> Can anyone be so kind to explain me how are these software components
> interacting with each other?

Simple.

udev receives messages from the kernel, and passes them on to subsystem
daemons such as Network Manager.  Applications talk to Network Manager
over D-Bus.

  Kernel --> udev --> Network Manager <--> D-Bus <--> Evolution

Ignore HAL and DeviceKit, they are deprecated and not used by any new
software; the "latest" versions of the major distributions do not
include them.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant