Security and authentification with D-Bus

Yoann Sculo yoann.sculo at mindscape.fr
Mon Apr 26 07:55:40 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm working with D-Bus to let a bunch of application talk together. It
works great !
However, I'm wondering how D-Bus could provide authentification for my
applications. Basically, I'd like to be sure a spy-application isn't
usurping another application's identity. This is quite important for me
in my context.

Somebody has outlined the idea of using a key authentification
http://blog.vrplumber.com/index.php?/archives/219-Need-to-understand-the-dbus-security-model-Kind-of-a-key-requirement-to-analyse-security-when-everything-uses-it....html
Therefore I have found explanations in D-Bus specification
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#auth-protocol.

but I'm surprised not to find any documentation or code about it (except
for dbus specification)

I'm currently using Glib binding. Feeling lucky, I'm trying to know more
about it at the source, here.
Do you have any idea (I suppose) how to manage a good authentification
with D-Bus ? Is there any existing example ? (some piece of code which
could help me)

I may have missed some documentation. I'd be pleased you show me the way !

Thank you

Regards

Yoann