D-Bus n00b: system, session, or... (?)

Christopher Howard choward at indicium.us
Wed Apr 28 16:39:27 PDT 2010

Hi. I'm looking for some perspective. I needed decent IPC for the first
time in one of my work projects, so I used dbus-python. I wrote this
daemon for my Linux server, meant to receive messages from other
processes, and then forward those messages onto some robotics equipment
attached to the server.

If I use a session bus (through Python D-Bus session object), and then
test the daemon and a client inside my development user account,
everything work fine. However, the daemon is actually supposed to be
started at boot, while the client processes might be started later.

So, should I be trying to use the system bus? Or is there some other
configuration that would be better?

--
Christopher Howard
http://linuxprogrammingforums.com