Remote DBus

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 07:39:02 PDT 2010

Le Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:41:40 -0400,
James <purpleidea at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi DBus list,
> I have been trying to use dbus over the internets and was hoping your
> experience could guide me a bit.
>
> ===
> What I want:
> ===
> - I want all (or ideally just a subset org.freedesktop.dbus.* and
> com.example.*) of a remote dbus session to appear as a new bus (or
> even merged with an existing session bus) on a local machine.
> - Multiple clients to be able to access the new locally available bus.
> - It would make sense that authentication and encryption be part of
> the scheme.
>
> ===
> What I have looked at:
> ===
(...)
> 3)
> http://alban.apinc.org/blog/2010/04/01/d-bus-debugging-how-to-use-d-feet-on-n900/
> Works perfectly however this has no authentication/encryption and
> only lets you have a single connection. Perhaps this should be
> extended to support auth/encryption and filtering of what parts of
> the bus to export?

Adding basic support for multiple connections should not be too
difficult. Does your different clients need a different unique name on
the real bus? If yes, the easy way is to make dbus-daemon-proxy
connects to the real bus as many times as there is clients :-)

The filtering may be more difficult. The bus driver must be
reimplemented instead of just forwarding messages. It is already done
for the D-Bus method 'Hello' but that was the easy one :-) Methods like
'ListNames' should returns a subset of the reply from the real bus, etc.

What are your use cases for that? Is it only debugging, developing,
testing or also to be used in applications for real users? It could
easily open new security holes.

Alban