Zeromq vs. dbus

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Aug 5 23:36:46 PDT 2010

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:04:12 -0300, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>> Obviously the comparison would tell nothing about the quality of the
>> implementations (because in 0mq there isn't much of implementation to
>> go aroung with anyway), but I can imagine IPC use cases where
>> programmer would naturally reach for dbus without needing all the
>> features provided by dbus (but suffering the non-optional performance
>> hit anyway).
>
> If you're going to send arbitrary byte sequences, I'd use POSIX mqueues.

POSIX message queues are problematic. In my understanding, you can't poll()
them. Personally, I'm find with threads, but many people aren't. Then the
namespace is shared with all users on the system, which makes it a mess
from security perspective. At least with old SysV IPC, the kernel can
safely allocate unused message queue ID on behalf of user space.

So it ś no surprise that most people stick to local-domain sockets anyway.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net