[HEADS-UP] the road to D-Bus 1.4

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Fri Aug 6 12:52:49 PDT 2010


I'd like to release D-Bus 1.4.0 soonishly. To me it
appears 1.3.1 is actually very well behaved, and the version in rawhide
already contains most of the stuff from 1.3.2, where we should have some
more widespread testing as soon as the f14 alpha is out.

Basically the plan I have in mind goes something like this:

- if the folks who have outstanding patches get off their asses
  (e.g. that new nullable type thingy and launchd support) then this
  should be merged and we can release 1.3.2 soon, and 1.4.0 after a
  couple of weeks of testing afterwards.

- If they don't then I think we could go directly for 1.4.0, without
  much further delay, and without those patches.

So, to give clear dates: my plan is: in 3 weeks from today I'll roll a
new release. Depending whether these non-trivial changes get merged this
will then be either 1.3.2 or 1.4.0.

Does that makes sense to everybody?

Note that with 1.4.0 I'd like to do a big whitespace clean-up. This
might break your patches (though not much, as git --ignore-space-change
is pretty cool), so it is advisable to get the patches ready sooner
rather than later.

Does anybody have some particular important bugs he thinks must be fixed
before the 1.4.0 release? If so, please fill them into this whitespace:

  * ___________________
  * ___________________
  * ___________________

Yes, only three bugs per reply. ;-)

So, get busy!


Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

More information about the dbus mailing list