Is it possible to monitor a users session-bus as root...?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Aug 18 03:59:27 PDT 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:36:45 -0400, "Nestler, Roger - IS"
<Roger.Nestler at itt.com> wrote:
> I've been searching for an answer to this and have found various things
> that are related... but what I want to do is to attach to a users dbus
> session bus as root... so far from other posts I'v found that I can
export
> the users DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS env variable and then in the program
set
> uid to the target user....this all works fine...however what I have is a
> monitoring application... I dont want the user to be able to kill this
> application... which they are able to do when i set uid to that user....
>

> Is it possible to monitor a users session-bus as root...?

On BSD, you could probably also edit libdbus to send "fake" the local
domain socket SCM_CREDENTIALS ancillary data when authenticating to the
session bus. On Linux, SO_PASSCRED is used instead, so you must set the
EUID when connect()ing the socket. That said, you can revert back to root
EUID after the connect() system call.

Otherwise, you can always debug the session dbus daemon...

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net