General question on D-Bus design considerations

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 23 13:06:10 PDT 2010

On Monday 23. August 2010 19.22.12 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Uh? That's not really true. There is proper nego implemented for the
> unix fd stuff. Not sure what you are missing?

I meant in the message format. You know how difficult this is: the dbus-daemon
must broker the capabilities. If a message is coming from a service containing
an extension, the daemon must check if the receiver can receive it before
sending.

When the message is a signal, there may be a big number of receivers to be
tested. Some may receive the message, others won't.

It would be better if the message format allowed unknown types, which the
library would just ignore or skip.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358