Cmake update patch for dbus master

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Sat Feb 6 02:39:08 PST 2010

Thiago Macieira schrieb:

>>> I understand. But let met argue with that : it's only a change on
>>> windows, only for 1.3.x, and it may only affect packagers (which is only
>>> emerge afaik) and a few others who use dbus-daemond.exe explicitely. The
>>> basic developer who just wants his single build won't even notice the
>>> change. Plus dbus 1.3.x is not an official stable release, so there's
>>> nothing really preventing us to do it. So why not take the opportunity
>>> to make that change now while it's still not a big decision ? I can even
>>> take care of adjusting the emerge packages if that helps ;)
>>>
>>> Again, I really think this option doesn't make sense, and even so, its
>>> default value triggers the wrong behavior, ie. by default people get the
>>> d postfix for the executables when they don't specify otherwise. IMHO at
>>> the very least this should be the other way around, that people
>>> explicitely have to enable it to get the debug postfixes on the
>>> executables.
>>>
>>> You could argue that it's only a matter of naming so why bother, but
>>> unfortunately it's not: there are places where you do start dbus-daemon
>>> from the code, like dbus-launcher, and we have similar code in KDE as
>>> well. I guess you see the problem: all of a sudden you have to check if
>>> dbus-daemon.exe exists, and if not try dbus-daemond.exe... This is a
>>> real can of worms, bound to be breaking as soon as somebody adds such
>>> code, and for no real benefit in the end.
>>>
>>> I hope that'll convince you to change you mind ;)
>>
>> The whole thing was added because Saro wanted to have two running kde
>> instances on his system. A release and a debug one. This isn't possible
>> with only one dbus-daemon.
>> I really wonder whats wrong with the name dbus-daemond.exe. It worked
>> since nearly one year and nobody every complained about it... no user
>> will ever see a dbus-daemond.exe and the devs are able to have two
>> running kde instances on windows.
>>
>> But feel free to do what you want - kdab did it the last years so it
>> doesn't matter anyway.
>
> Why do you want to run a debug-mode version of the daemon?
>
> How often do you need or even try to debug into the daemon, when debugging
> issues in other apps?

I don't want to debug the deamon - I just need two instances to separate
the debug and the release bus. Otherwise my debug application talks to a
release executable. Adn then I mixed the debug and the release kde version.

Christian