dbus 1.2.20

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Sun Feb 7 10:33:30 PST 2010

Hi Colin,

> >> Great, thanks for looking at these patches, WIll!  Let's call this 1.2.20 then.
> >
> > can we trouble you to move 1.3.x forward to 1.4.0 as well. I think it is
> > pretty important the development branch doesn't end up stale. Especially
> > since we are planning to use the new fd passing feature heavily.
>
> Can you update me a bit on the users of the fd passing?  I assume
> pulseaudio?  Is your "we" in terms of bluez?  Moblin?

the current actual code that started using fd passing, is BlueZ, oFono
and PulseAudio.

Current Bluetooth Handsfree implementation will move to oFono. The
underlying signal channel fd will be passed from BlueZ to oFono. We have
to keep BlueZ for setup etc., but the actual telephony operation now
will be done by oFono since it is doing that anyway. That avoids a lot
of code duplication. And only a full telephony stack can do the job
properly here.

Out proprietary unix socket based protocol for audio setup and will be
converted to D-Bus. However for the actual media/audio data we need to
pass that fd to PulseAudio.

In the future, also obexd will follow so we can do file transfer of
specific files like business cards without having them to store on the
filesystem in temporary files first. This modifications haven't been
started yet, while the two other have actual code and patches.

First users will be clearly Moblin and Maemo. However the users will be
all distributions actually.

Regards

Marcel