Cmake update patch for dbus master

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Feb 15 23:50:11 PST 2010

Romain Pokrzywka schrieb:
> On Tuesday 09 February 2010 06:58:53 Thiago Macieira wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>>> "Definitely. That's something that could be useful not only for the debug
>>> vs. release case, but also for different versions of KDE apps running in
>>> parallel. For example, I usually have a stable KDE-Windows build for my
>>> common apps, then I have an enterprise4 branch build for Kontact, and I
>>> also keep a trunk build for testing and development. Currently I have to
>>> kill all processes (including dbus-daemon) everytime I need to switch
>>> between those, which is a PITA. "
>>>
>> I'd say the answer should be "Use the same technique as on Unix"
>>
>> If you require different busses, you just set a different environment
>> variable (DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS). It will be inherited by all processes
>> in that session.

This will not work on windows. Applications are started from the start
menu - the start menu is managed by the explorer, which is one process.
Setting an environment variable in the explorer will force any
applications started from the startmenu to use the same session bus.

> Ah ! how could I have overlooked that :)
> As far as I'm concerned, that's all I need, since I run my KDE sessions from a console with some environment already set
> up (e.g. for KDEHOME), so adding the dbus env var in the environment is no problem.
>
> Still, Ralph is talking about another use case, where we don't have a console-provided environment.

yes

> [...]
>

>> In theory, it would be possible to run two sets of those applications on
>> the same computer, by the same user, if they were in separate buses. But at
>> least on Unix, kdeinit4 also creates a socket which is keyed to the X
>> display, so it wouldn't work -- on Windows, it may.
>>

> It does. That's why the idea of having multiple dbus-daemons running and apps talking to the right one is tempting.
> However, I don't think ensuring the apps talk to the right daemon is really the responsibility of dbus, so I think I
> agree with you below.

dbus lacks some support to be able to handle this on windows.

> [...]
>

>>> The conclusion is there must be a way to separate a dbus-daemon to a
>>> specific release. But how to implement such a feature ?
>>>
>> I disagree that there is such a need.
>>

> Me too. That's something I'd rather fix in kde-win if really needed.

The default case on windows is that applications are started from the
start menu.
If there are separate KDE installations, how should it be able to select
different dbus session busses ?
The arguments I heard until now do not apply.

Regards
 Ralf