n00b: signals with an extensible message

Kees Jongenburger kees.jongenburger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:37:42 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Simon McVittie
<simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 at 07:38:44 -0600, Schmottlach, Glenn wrote:
>> Another alternative is to encode your payload using XML or (preferably)
>> JSON on top of D-Bus.
>
> I'd discourage this unless there's already a common format for the payload, and
> perhaps even then (for instance, it'd make sense to transfer rich text as HTML
> rather than inventing a D-Bus serialization, but Telepathy has a D-Bus
> serialization for vCards).

I also would like to mention that you will run against implementation
limitations. The dbus protocol
can handle quite large packets but if you really try it you will find
that sending a 1Mb XML file
(not that crazy for xml) will not always work( code assuming it can
read the whole dbus message in on go).

Greetings