machine-id file has different id than the daemons have

Yuri yuri at tsoft.com
Sat Feb 27 13:45:48 PST 2010

I have this PR in IBus
http://code.google.com/p/ibus/issues/detail?id=789 . IBus relies on DBus
in message passing.
On FreeBSD machine I spotted the situation when all dbus-daemon
processes are started on Feb 17 (see note in PR), but machine-id file is
written on Feb 21 and has different id.

My guess is that an extra instance of dbus-daemon was launched on this
machine at the time of high load. Maybe because the communication with
the original dbus daemon was timing out (?).
And this new instance also got some error code opening machine-id file
and rewrote it. And exited later for some reason.

What measures does DBus take to prevent such things?
Or what would be an explanation of the observed behavior?

Yuri