DBus in the kernel?

John Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 09:33:51 PST 2010

----- "Thiago Macieira" <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> Em Domingo 27. Dezembro 2009, às 09.21.10, Eugene Gorodinsky
> escreveu:
> > While browsing stackoverflow.com, I came across a post by someone,
> > that said that there were some people working on moving dbus into
> the
> > kernel (apparently this was announced during one of the linux
> plumbers
> > conferences). I haven't been able to find anything though, so can
> > someone confirm this and if so is there anything I can read about
> the
> > progress of this project?
>
> This was never mentioned on this mailing list, which is where D-Bus
> development occurs.

Marcel Holtmann has been working on this for some time I believe and Linus has said it is something he thinks should be in the kernel.  Not sure if the work is dead or not but it isn't coming out or being proposed for inclusion any time soon.  Even if it does I think it will only be the kernel being able to send events in D-Bus' native format, not really a in-kernel bus.  I personally would like to see an in kernel bus as it could cut down on the amount of context switches and memcpys as well as show other performance gains but in all reality the current setup works fine and is portable to almost any operating system.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Software Engineer