DBus in the kernel?

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 05:51:21 PST 2010

2010/1/5 Kimmo Hämäläinen <kimmo.hamalainen at nokia.com>:

>> That being said, can't we get zero-copy already with peer-to-peer dbus
>> connection? It seems to be somewhat unsupported (or not widely used at
>> least), but I guess it has problems of its own.
>
> I think that works so that the other client is actually working as a
> D-Bus server, or maybe there is some more convenient way?

I think (relying on random docs here, I've never used it, because I
assumed there is a good reason for nobody using it ;-) peer-to-peer
dbus connection just sets the connection up using the local socket
path directly.

The way you'd *want* dbus to operate would be direct writing to a
peer-to-peer socket at all times, and only going for the daemon when
that socket dies (to get a new name mapping & socket).

There seems to be widespread confusion about dbus details, including
an assumption that it already works this way ;-).

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio