[RFC] Making D-Bus suitable for being run early during boot

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Fri Jul 9 09:14:36 PDT 2010

On Fri, 09.07.10 08:39, Thiago Macieira (thiago at kde.org) wrote:

> I agree with you: a and b are uncontroversial and c isn't :-)
>
> The reason why the machine ID file is in /var is because it isn't a config file.
> It's a generated file. But if /var isn't mounted, we have a problem.
>
> Are there systems where /var isn't a local filesystem? I guess just about any
> configuration possible exists...

Yes, we don't know much about /var unfortunately.

> I guess the only other possibility is /lib itself. I think that's a better fit
> actually.

Well, the problem with /lib is is that it belongs to the package manager
and is supposed to be identical on all machines. If we would move it
there it would be the only file there which would have a different
content on all machines beneath that directory. And we'd have to patch
the various package manager so that they don't whine about this.

/etc otoh hand is writable at configuration time, and can be different
for different machines. Hence it strikes me a much better place,
although I too see it isn't perfect.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.