[RFC] Making D-Bus suitable for being run early during boot

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jul 9 09:58:34 PDT 2010

Em Sexta-feira 09 Julho 2010, às 18:04:31, David Zeuthen escreveu:
> Lennart, why exactly do want or need the socket to be abstract? Also
> note that abstract socket is a Linux-only thing so mandating it in the
> spec kinda makes D-Bus a Linux-only thing. I'm not sure we want that.

The reason is to support running the system bus daemon before any other
filesystems are mounted. And /var isn't guaranteed to be part of the root
filesystem. Like Lennart said, there are many systems with a read-only / and/or
/usr, but with a writable /var.

However, at this point I have to question: why does dbus-daemon need to start
before the local filesystems are mounted?

I understand and agree with starting it before the network filesystems are
mounted.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358