[RFC] Making D-Bus suitable for being run early during boot

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 11:36:21 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
>> Ah, but there's not "the" client.  There are at least four dbus client
>> libraries that I can think of.  All of them would need to be updated.
>
> Which are those btw? There's a C# one, and a Java one. What's the fourth
> one?

GLib's (new) D-Bus implementation (in libgio-2.0.so) would need to be
updated as well. It doesn't use the libdbus-1.so reference
implementation at all.

> And 4 libs doesn't sound too bad to me. Quite doable for most
> distributors...

Typically Win32- and OS X apps bundle D-Bus implementations (and other
libraries such as GTK+) and we can't really retroactively update
those. Then there's statically linked apps which is the same. Then
there's the bindings and/or apps implementing the D-Bus protocol that
we don't even know about. Sorry, but I'm surprised that you think such
a change is OK.

    David