[RFC] Making D-Bus suitable for being run early during boot

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 12:04:22 PDT 2010

Hey,

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thought, couldn't the bus listen on two sockets? It may already work
> if you just add another one to the config.

Probably could - the spec change would be minimal, basically just
change that the default address is

  unix:abstract=/foo/bar;unix:path=/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket

instead of just the latter.

Then again, maybe it would be better to just mandate that /var/run
always need to be on tmpfs and rw (I think Ubuntu does this already).
Then early user space can set it up as the very first thing and we
won't have to worry about the security problems I've raised elsewhere.

    David