register object path + introspection

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jul 16 08:09:43 PDT 2010

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:06:02 -0400, Havoc Pennington
<havoc.pennington at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically it assumes the mpris object is the only one the process has.

I assume "the process" mean the DBus connection.
What prevents it from matching the destination (call) or sender (signal,
reply)?

> Like naming a library global variable "value" or "foo"

To me, it looks more like naming a member of a class "foo". This does not
seem all that bad to me.
It also looks like using the HTTP Host: header rather than pure original
HTTP/1.0. In fact, Apache does have such fallback mode if you dig in the
documentation, but nobody has used it for years.

On Lennart's blog, you wrote:
"The bus name is about routing the message, it should never  affect how the
message is processed, by either sender or receiver. There is already an
object path and an interface and a method name used to decide how to
process the message."

But if it is only about routing, then how would the receiver of a signal or
reply ascertain the identity of the sender? You can't trust every process
on the bus not to "fake" object paths, especially on the system bus, can
you?

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net