GDbus new bindings

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 08:24:20 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar
<boulabiar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I haven't seen a separate thread announcement here for the GDbus new
> bindings.
> What's the status/future of this bindings ?

These bindings are part of the upcoming GLib 2.26 release - they
haven't been announced on this list but has been discussed a couple of
times. These D-Bus bindings are pretty much complete, we are currently
only tweaking stuff.

> And where can I find example files showing very simple use (exporting
> objects, listening to signals, ...) ?
> I am still very new to GDBus, so I have just generated code from an xml file
> using gdbus-codegen (which was named gdbus-binding-tool one month ago right
> ?).

For the record, gdbus-codegen(1) is here

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~david/gdbus-binding-tool/

and isn't yet done (although I'm pretty sure the API of generated code
isn't going to change much). For starters, the code generated is way
too big - if we're a bit more careful we can probably fix that. The
long term plan is to move gdbus-codegen(1) into GLib - that will
happen for 2.28 - we're not in a hurry to finish that part of the
gdbus effort.

> I need some example to speed up with my testing and code.

The gdbus core bindings have tons of examples, see

 http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/unstable/

and

http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/tree/gio/tests

The gdbus-codegen(1) tool also have a good amount of documention,
here's a snapshot

 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdbus-codegen-20100629/gdbus-codegen.html

but note that gdbus-codegen(1) is still in flux.

    David