dbus-send use?

Dr. Michael Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Thu Jun 10 12:03:36 PDT 2010

Am 10.06.2010 um 20:43 schrieb ttlee1984:

> Hi Sedat,
>
> Thanks. But it works like Johannes's advice,
> dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal /org/freedesktop/Hal/device/computer_backlight org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel.GetBrightness
>
> And the --dest argument, like pointed by Dean, is the well known bus name (connection name, or called service name by Qt. I am relieved that I am not the only one who got confused).
>
> By the way, I have to say I am not quite clear why this argument is necessary. Sure it represents the connection to the bus, but in our method calling case, isn't it enough to have 1) object path and 2) method name (including interface)? It is also my question in the Qt API createMethodCall I pasted before. I always get confused about these concepts.

Two parameters are not enough: The object path is per-server
and the interface name is not connected to any server either,
it's not necessary that org.foo.bar serves objects that expose
interfaces named org.foo.bar.baz; it can serve objects that expose
ham.egg.whatnot as well.

In short: you need to specify the server name as this information is
not present in the object path and not in the interface name.

Hope that helps,

:M: