dbus-send use?

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Thu Jun 10 12:20:46 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Dean Jenkins <djenkins at mvista.com> wrote:
> The D-bus specification appears to be old and the folks at Qt have
> given better names IMHO to the terminology given in the D-bus
> specification.
> service name == "well known bus name" (a very confusing term eg. is
> not session or system bus name)

This is not really accurate. The Qt docs may be lumping three concepts
together for simplicity, see my other mail just now:
 * an auto-launchable name found in a .service file
 * a well-known bus name
 * a unique bus name

However, it is a white lie to combine these. To understand it enough
to implement a binding or a message bus daemon you would need to
distinguish these three.  That's why the spec distinguishes them. The
spec is supposed to specify, not simplify.

Some bindings may conceal the implementation details enough that you
don't need to care about the difference.

I would say app developers do somewhat need to know about these three
flavors of name, personally.