[Patch] Moving FD passing into the header

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jun 18 09:26:23 PDT 2010

Em Sexta-feira 18. Junho 2010, às 16.22.21, Havoc Pennington escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> > Finally, with the addition of Maybe types, we are changing the type
> > system anyway.
>
> Didn't we add some feature negotiation with the fd patch, so apps that
> aren't updated just won't advertise the feature?

Correct, but that's not the point.

The point is that by moving the file descriptors to out-of-band data,
applications that haven't been updated will be able to call methods that
expect file descriptors.

Also, changing the typesystem isn't an argument against FDs because we're
changing it anyway.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358