[Patch] Moving FD passing into the header

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jun 23 10:34:41 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 19:07:56 Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de>
wrote:
> > Such an approach would suggest itself if we had more than one type of
> > OOB data to pass around. But I don't really see that. Looking through
> > the man pages on Linux only three kinds of data can be sent out-of-band
> > really so far:
> >

> > SCM_CREDENTIALS (which we already cover a different way)
> > SO_TIMESTAMP (which is kinda useless here I think)
> > SCM_RIGHTS
>
> These are for sockets; DBus is higher level.  For example, it might
> also make sense to later add  "large read-only buffer" as an
> out-of-band type.

Well, there are out-of-band metadata in the message header, like the flag for
starting the service and the serials. Other such information could be
conceivably added.

But I think it's really on a case-by-case basis: is this new data something
that could be ignored by existing apps?

The serial is information that is normally ignored. Most apps also don't care
what the sender of a message is.

But I argue that most apps WILL care whether a file descriptor was passed or
not. It's not optional, OOB metadata: it's part of the functionality of the
function.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358