dbus & threading (fix) ...

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Mar 8 07:00:46 PST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:

>        Sure - on the other hand, we have a GNOME release coming up really soon
> now (weeks away), and an Evolution (using the best dbus available) that
> has hideous blocking problems without my (pretty trivial) patch.
>
>        Is there any chance we can get a new release of dbus-1 with the fix, so
> that we can depend on in the next two weeks ?

That's a really short timeframe for such a fundamental change; I'm not
opposed but  I'd like to think through a bit about what the possible
regressions are.

Couldn't this patch cause messages to get delayed until a subsequent
message comes in?  If we return from the watch in main thread #1
without doing anything, then the thread #2 finds its reply and handles
it, thread #1 will not process the queue again until another message
comes in and triggers the watch again, correct?

On the other hand this is clearly better than just blocking in thread #1.