marchalling struct on window.

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Mar 16 01:00:06 PDT 2010

Em Segunda-feira 15. Março 2010, às 22.28.13, Mansour Al Akeel escreveu:
> > > In other words I want something similar to publish/subsribe pattern for
> > > IPC. Performance is a concern to me, as this should be deployed on low
> > > resource hardware. The daemon should be always running, and the
> > > services producing events is always running.
> > >
> > > My questions,
> > > 1- Is dbus right for this ?
> >
> > It's not wrong, though there may be faster alternatives.
>
> What other alternatives are there ? I thought that DBUS uses binary
> format for exchanging data, which would make it faster.
> Can you please elaborate? If there's a small; fast alternative then this
> might be better.

D-Bus does use binary and is fast. But that doesn't mean it's the fastest
possible. For example, a socket will definitely transfer data faster. And
shared memory probably even faster.

But you lose the advantage I mentioned:

> > The advantage of D-Bus is the availability of bindings to many languages.
> >
> > > 2- If yes, where can I find basic example about marchalling c struct's
> > >
> > >     and unmarchalling them to C# ?
> >
> > I'll leave this to the people who have done work in C#.
>
> What about a simple example for C stuct ? Do you know any ? It will be
> a lot of help, if there's a small skelton example, to modify and build
> on it.

Again, it depends on the binding.

I could tell you how to do it with the reference library implementation, but
that library is not designed for end-application use. It's designed for
binding writing.

So, pick a binding.

> > > 4- I am working on windows XP with dbus 1.2.4.1, did anyone experience
> > >
> > >     problems with this ?
> >
> > I thought you said you were on low-resource hardware and that performance
> > was a concern. So why are you using Windows XP and and old version of
> > D-Bus?
>
> True, I am working on windows XP, since this is the platform installed
> already on the equipement, we are talking around 1.2 GHz and 512 MB.
> more or less like one of these mini laptops with Atom processor. And the
> reason I am using an older version of DBUS is because this is all I was
> able to find for windows compiled under MinGW. I think my requirements
> are very basic, and should be covered by an older version.

That doesn't seem like resource-constrained environments to me. 512 MB is more
memory than any smartphone out there, even the highest-end ones, except for
the Google NexusOne (which has 512MB).

If you had 64 MB of RAM on an ARM7 processor, that would be resource-
constrained.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358