more comfortable approach for exporting dbus functions on windows

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Mar 22 03:21:03 PDT 2010

Ralf Habacker schrieb:
> Romain Pokrzywka schrieb:

>>> just a few notes:
>>> 1. on unix the dbus-1 library contains only the public symbols, on
>>> windows dbus-1 library contains public and some internal symbols yet
>>> 2. on unix dbus-internal library is static and contains all public and
>>> internal symbols, on windows dbus-internal currently only contains all
>>> symbols not listed in topic 1.
>>> 3. on unix dbus-daemon, helper tools and tests apps depends on
>>> dbus-internal only, on windows these apps depends on dbus-1 and
>>> dbus-internal
>>> 4. it may be required to export the same set of symbols on unix and
>>> windows in dbus-1 and dbus-internal library before decoration for
>>> internal functions could be added
>>> 5. dbus-internal library is a separate build target and functions in
>>> this library could not use  DBUS_EXPORT as export decoration, it should
>>> have a different name for example DBUS_INTERNAL_EXPORT.

>>> feel free - if you need some assistance let me know.
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>>

>> Ah, thanks for that ! That's very valuable info, and indeed the first
>> step would be to make the windows binaries and build match the linux
>> one. This is very easy as well, it's just about including the files
>> from the client lib in the internal one, and removing the linking to
>> dbus-1 afterwards,

>> that should take me less than an hour to do.
>>
>> As an added benefit, then we don't even need the second set of
>> exports for internal symbols, since dbus-internal is static. It would
>> only be needed if we wanted to make it dynamic, which isn't really a
>> necessity atm.
>>
> The only drawback with having a static internal library is that it is
> included in every helper tool and will blow up the binary package
> compressed and binary package installed size.
... which could be fixed later, if really required.

Appended are the related patches for the cmake buildsystem - I tested it
with msvc and mingw on windows without any problems.
If there are no objections I will commit them tomorrow.

The required patches for the autotools build system should cover the
following topics:
1. remove def file usage and installation in buildsystem (including the
.def.* files from dbus/ source dir)
2. add -DDBUS_STATIC_BUILD to the compile flags for building the
dbus-internal target.
3. add -DDBUS_STATIC_BUILD to the compile flags for building all targets
which depends on the internal lib (or dbus-convenience as it is called
on unix)

Ralf