Creating objects on the same bus_name from multiple processes.

Mike MacHenry dskippy at ccs.neu.edu
Fri May 7 15:02:18 PDT 2010

I have a program that is designed as follows: There is web service
running on Apache that is capable of spawning off daemon processes
that serve the request. These daemon processes are producing audio
streams that are sent to icecast. I would like each one of these
streams to register a D-Bus object that other web services can connect
to and control the audio.

The problem I'm having is that when I create one of these processes,
it creates a bus_name and an object_path and that all works fine. But
when I try to run a second one, the bus_name already belongs to the
first process. I cannot simply add an object to the agreed upon
bus_name.

I don't think I can give each instance its own bus_name because there
needs to be an XML file in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ for the server to
govern permissions.

Does anyone know the proper way to use D-Bus to do something like this?

-mike