PropertiesChanged signal

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Sat May 8 01:29:06 PDT 2010

Am Samstag, den 08.05.2010, 09:24 +0200 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Em Sexta-feira 7. Maio 2010, às 23.10.00, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer escreveu:
> > And while we're there we could/should also fix the client-based signal
> > matching, which is IMO one of the major design flaws in DBus.
> > I know that the desktop people don't care, but still...
>
> What is the issue?

Two issues:

1.) Listeners are always woken up on any kind of signals (to run the
match function), no matter whether they are listening to a certain
signal or not. That's a waste of CPU hence battery.

2.) Signals are being computed and sent no matter whether anyone is
listening or not. Again a terrible waste of CPU.

Both issues are commonly worked around by introducing additional
application-specific protocols, such as the 'agent-based' approach we
see in bluez, connman, etc.; still it's merely done due to the lack of
server-side signal handling.

--
:M: