D-Bus User Bus

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed May 19 19:08:01 PDT 2010

On Wed, 19.05.10 13:58, Havoc Pennington (hp at pobox.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2010/5/19 Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>:
> > Ah...this would require a lot of code changes.  For the keying+cron
> > example above, both gnome-keyring would have to be changed to
> > explicitly be a system-user service, and clients would have to be
> > updated to look for org.gnome.Keyring.Uid500 etc.
> >

> But the user bus requires changes to *everything* - every single
> service (or most of them) would suddenly require DISPLAY scoping?

Well, two things:

if we cover this in the gtk application class those changes would be
easy.

I think the majority of apps would stay with the once-per-user mode. And
hence don't need any changing.

> for cron accessing gnome-keyring - what is cron doing? can you explain
> the use-case more? it really does seem like a system service though.
> why start a whole "session" for that... if the goal is to let certain
> per-user services to be available without a session or independent of
> a session, then user-specific services on system bus seems kinda
> logical.

think about a backup tool that copies data from $HOME to some network
share and might need auth keys for that.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net