D-Bus User Bus

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed May 19 20:17:11 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> Well, I am not sure what we are discussing here anymore, but let me say
> that UI apps tend to write their settings via gconfd. And that is the
> only thing your "last-write-wins" scheme currently covers. For
> everything beyond settings (i.e. documents) "last-write-wins" is a
> desaster.

For user-saved documents, people  *expect* last-wins, while auto-saved
state (like tomboy) should have a lockfile or change detection or sync
or something, and often does.

With Tomboy I don't know if it has a lockfile when saving locally, but
it supports storing your stuff on a server, which is one approach.

My point is just that a bunch of people have historically been OK with
the last-wins thing, and gone ballistic about the
can't-log-in-from-two-machines-with-network-homedir thing. This isn't
speculation, I have lived through supporting the desktop in both
states. In last-wins state, nobody said anything. In
network-homedirs-don't-work state, there were bugzillas and even some
pissed people on the phone.
Times change, but I'm just saying, you had better be sure they have.