D-Bus User Bus

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Thu May 20 06:26:38 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 13:50 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> 2010/5/17 Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com>:
> >
> > The longstanding issue with a user bus is that it doesn't really solve
> > anything,
>
> It makes things work for people who want to use cron to schedule jobs
> that need to access e.g. gnome-keyring.  (Though really, we should
> also have DISPLAY set).  Also logging in via ssh.

Right, this is basically one of the things I think _should_work_:

I create a personal cronjob, and it fires while I'm not logged in.  That
cronjob runs something which talks via D-Bus to Gvfsd.  D-Bus should be
activated, and thus so should gvfsd.

Since neither need a $DISPLAY, these are "user-scoped services" (agents
in Apple parlance).

$DISPLAY-scoped cronjobs are more fun, since you can't activate a
display, they would only fire while you're logged in.  And yes, I have
use cases for this <g>

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant